[R] how to output profile plots for groups using lattice package

Peter Ehlers ehlers at ucalgary.ca
Wed Oct 7 09:20:37 CEST 2009

see below

George Kalema wrote:
> Dear R users,
> I am trying to have an xyplot of a data set which has the following
> variables:
> case (n=10,20,30)
> parameter (parm=a,b)
> group (grp=g1,g2)
> y (y values)
> x (x=2,4,8)
>
> My plot should be parameter by case such that I have 2 rows (each row= each
> parameter) and 3 columns (each column=each case). My R-code is as follows
> but I am not able to get what I want to:
>
> tp1.sim <- xyplot(y~ x | case + parm , group=group, data = data, lty = 1:4 ,
> pch = 1:4)
> print(tp1.sim)
>
> How can I have two lines (for g1 and g2) in each plot (each box)?
include the type="b" argument

> How do I label the x-axis with only values 2, 4, 8?
include the scales= argument or make x a factor

> How do I label each column with the corresponding case number?
make 'case' a factor

The following should do what you want:

xyplot(y ~ x | factor(case) + parm, group=group, data=data,
     type='b', lty=1:2, pch=1:2,
     scales=list(x=list(at=c(2,4,8)))
)

I don't understand why you want 4 line types/point chars.

  -Peter Ehlers