[R] help with ncdf package

advaitgodbole advaitgodbole at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 18:44:34 CEST 2009

Hello,

I have been trying to read in a variable from a netCDF file. It has -9999 as
a "missing value". When I read in the file using open.ncdf, the missing
values are set to 1e+30 (probably the default in R). I tried different
approaches; using the syntax from the ncdf documentation and from a UCAR
website I found (http://www.image.ucar.edu/GSP/Software/Netcdf/) with no
luck. the set.missval  function also fails to yield results.

I then tried re-setting the missing value for the file in NCL and then
reading it in again, with the same result.

Has anybody here used the package before? If yes, can you post a sample of
the script you used?

Thanks much,

Advait