[R] I can not install DAAG package . help

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu Oct 8 14:53:43 CEST 2009

On Oct 8, 2009, at 4:27 AM, Yanyuan Zhu wrote:

> I use R on my Ubuntu 9.04 laptop, which was installed by "aptitude
> install"
> way

The is an R-SIG-Debian which is going to have more people with
knowledge of your particular OS.

> Now i'm learning a book of R which needs "MASS" and "DAAG" installed.
> So i followed the instructions:
>
>> install.packages("MASS")
>> library("MASS")
>
> MASS works fine.

But that doesn't tell you very much because MASS was part of the R
distribution. So your hope to derive comfort is ill-conceived.

> But DAAG doesn't. Anyone who could help would be appreciated a lot !
>
> Below are my error outpus :
>
>> install.packages("DAAG")
> Warning in install.packages("DAAG") :
>  argument 'lib' is missing: using
> '/home/simon/R/i486-pc-linux-gnu-library/2.9'
> --- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---
> also installing the dependency ‘randomForest’
>
> trying URL '
> http://ftp.ctex.org/mirrors/CRAN/src/contrib/randomForest_4.5-30.tar.gz'
> Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 70247 bytes (68 Kb)
> opened URL
> downloaded 68 Kb
>
> trying URL 'http://ftp.ctex.org/mirrors/CRAN/src/contrib/DAAG_1.00.tar.gz'
> Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 2172778 bytes (2.1 Mb)
> opened URL
> downloaded 2.1 Mb
>

> Warning: you have multiple copies of the following packages:
> Error: could not find function "installed.packages"
> Execution halted

Is it really true that the interpreter cannot find that function? That
would be pretty unusual and would suggest your copy of R was broken.
What do you get with:

  installed.packages()

On my system the list is very long but on yours it should be
considerably shorter.

> Warning: you have multiple copies of the following packages:
> Error: could not find function "installed.packages"
> Execution halted
>
> The downloaded packages are in
>    ‘/tmp/Rtmp7w4WPA/downloaded_packages’
> Warning messages:
> 1: In install.packages("DAAG") :
>  installation of package 'randomForest' had non-zero exit status
> 2: In install.packages("DAAG") :
>  installation of package 'DAAG' had non-zero exit status
>
>> library(DAAG)
> Error in library(DAAG) : there is no package called 'DAAG'
> --
> Yanyuan Zhu
> Doctoral Candidate
> School of Economics & Management, Tongji University

David Winsemius, MD
Heritage Laboratories
West Hartford, CT