[R] Parameters of Beta distribution

Albyn Jones jones at reed.edu
Thu Oct 8 18:53:02 CEST 2009

Maithili

I find it really hard to believe that a beta distribution would be a
reasonable probability model for loss data.  There would have to be an
upper bound on the size of losses.   What is the process that
generates the data.  Is there any natural upper bound?  Why is there a
lower bound greater than zero?

That said, the MLE's would be the min and max, but those will
underestimate the range of a beta.  It is an elementary exercise to
see why with the uniform[0,B] (ie beta(1,1)), for which the expected
value of the max of a sample of size n is B*n/(n+1).  If you have a
lot of data, this may not bother you.  For an arbitrary beta
distribution you would have 4 parameters to estimate...    probably a
Bayes estimator would be easiest.

I'll put this one away for an exercise my next math stats course...

albyn