[R] sort (all columns of) a matrix

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Thu Oct 8 21:01:10 CEST 2009

If you are compulsive wrap the second argument to do.call()
with unname(), just in case the data.frame has a column
with a name matching an argument to order (currently
'decreasing' and 'na.last').  This can save you from an
error like the following, where the 'decreasing' column
of 'd' is taken to be the 'decreasing' argument to order,
not just another column to sort:

  > d<-data.frame(weight=c(190, 121, 167, 121),
decreasing=c(TRUE,TRUE,FALSE,FALSE))
  > d[do.call(order,d),]
    weight decreasing
  1    190       TRUE
  3    167      FALSE
  2    121       TRUE
  4    121      FALSE
  > d[do.call(order,unname(d)),]
    weight decreasing
  4    121      FALSE
  2    121       TRUE
  3    167      FALSE
  1    190       TRUE

At some point data.frame may take more pains to make sure its
instances all have column names, in which case the argument needs
to be wrapped with unname(as.list(...)).

(Internally order() can call do.call("order",...) without using unname
so it could run into the same problem.)

Bill Dunlap
Spotfire, TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com