[R] Satellite ocean color palette?

Bernardo Rangel Tura tura at centroin.com.br
Fri Oct 9 21:39:00 CEST 2009

On Fri, 2009-10-09 at 11:51 -0700, Tim Clark wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> Is there a color palette avaliable similar to what is used in satellite ocean color imagery?  I.e. a gradient with blue on one end and red on the other, with yellow in the middle?  I have tried topo.colors(n) but that comes out more yellow on the end.  I am looking for something similar to what is found on the CoastWatch web page:
>
> http://oceanwatch.pifsc.noaa.gov/imagery/GA2009281_2009282_sst_2D_eddy.jpg
>
> Thanks!
>
> Tim
>

> Tim Clark
> Department of Zoology
> University of Hawaii

Tim,

You can make a palette in R, using colorRampPalette, look this example

Satelite.Pallete <-
colorRampPalette(c("blue3","cyan","aquamarine","yellow","orange","red"))
require(fields)
image.plot(volcano, col = Satelite.Pallete(500), legend.lab="Scale")
contour(volcano, levels = seq(90, 200, by = 5), add = TRUE)

--
Bernardo Rangel Tura, M.D,MPH,Ph.D
National Institute of Cardiology