[R] is that possible to graph 4 dimention plot

joris meys jorismeys at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 14:40:29 CEST 2009

I'm basically put off by the question itself. Plotting a 4-dimensional
graph is rather "complicated" if the world has only 3 dimensions. A
4-dimensional representation is typically a movie (with time as the
4th dimension). You could try to project a heatmap on a 3D surface
graph, but I doubt this will make things much more clear.

So the standard (and correct) way of solving this problem, is to think
about a clever way to represent the needed information in less
dimensions. Ryan gives some nice examples and tips of how to do that,
but those are dismissed as "not helpful".

People on the list answer voluntarily. They do not like to be told
that "you don't think it will really help". Did you actually try it
out? You certainly don't give that impression. Maybe you should have
another look at it, and question your own approach to the problem as
well.

Keep it in mind for next time, you're not making yourself popular this way.

Kind regards
Joris

On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 10:01 PM, Duncan Murdoch <murdoch at stats.uwo.ca> wrote:
> On 07/10/2009 5:50 PM, gcheer3 wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for your reply.
>>
>> But I don't think it will really help. My problem is as follows:
>>
>> I have 20 observations
>> y <- rnorm(N,mean= rep(th[1:2],N/2),sd=th[3])
>>
>> I have a loglikelihood function for 3 variables mu<-(mu1,mu2) and sig
>>        loglike <- function(mu,sig){
>>        temp<-rep(0,length(y))
>>        for (i in 1:(length(y)))
>>        {
>>
>> temp[i]<-log((1/2)*dnorm(y[i],mu[1],sig)+(1/2)*dnorm(y[i],mu[2],sig))}
>>        return(sum(temp))
>>         }
>>
>> for example
>>>
>>> mu<-c(1,1.5)