[R] R and computer size

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Mon Oct 12 15:45:14 CEST 2009

Vibe Henriette Skov wrote:
> Dear R-mailing list
>
> Hope you can help me. I am using R for windows to analyze my 107
> HGU133Plus2.0 chips, however, R chrash when I try to use ReadAffy(). I
> want to buy a computer that can handle all these arrays, do you know how
> big a computer I need to buy?

Hi Skov -- this is a Bioconductor question, so ask on the Bioconductor
mailing list.

http://bioconductor.org/docs/mailList.html

There are alternatives to affy::ReadAffy that might work on your current
machine, including affy::justRMA, the aroma.affymetrix package, and the
xps package (which requires a system dependency that some find difficult
to install).

Others on the bioc list might have more guidance on memory requirements
on 64 bit linux systems, which is what you'll want for large data analysis.

Martin