[R] SPSS long variable names

Robert Baer rbaer at atsu.edu
Wed Oct 14 14:45:34 CEST 2009

And again, my answer is that one approach would be to map SHORT names to
long variable LABELS.  This was a common use of labels before variable names
supported 64 bytes.  After reading into R with read.spss() you and easily
replace the short R names with the long LABELS to form long R names.

If for for some reason you are unwilling to give up some existing LABELS
that are not, you could create some dummy variables for just this mapping
purpose.