[R] RPostgreSQL: unable to load shared library

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Oct 14 20:40:09 CEST 2009

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009, Fanfaar wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I'm using R 2.9.2 on a WinXP system, and I installed the RPostgreSQL
> library using the package installer. When trying to load it, I get the
> following error:
>
>> library('RPostgreSQL')
> Error in inDL(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now), ...) :
>  unable to load shared library
> 'C:/PROGRA~1/R/R/library/RPostgreSQL/libs/RPostgreSQL.dll':
>  LoadLibrary failure:  The operating system cannot run %1.
>
> Error: package/namespace load failed for 'RPostgreSQL'
>
> So one way or the other, the DLL is not found... Does anyone know how

That is not what it says: it says it cannot *load* the DLL.  You need
the PostgreSQL client dll in your path, and I guess that (or its
version) is the problem.  (Usually Windows gives you a popup with more
information, and indeed on my laptop it told me LIBPQ.DLL could not be
found.) And pedump suggests that it is linked against entry points by
number not name, a very fragile arrangement.

I always worry that packages that link to external DLLs can be very
dependent on the version of that DLL (and see the above comment).  I
could not see a description of the version of PostgreSQL used on Uwe's
ReadMe (assuming this is a binary from CRAN), and suggest (as did the
rw-FAQ) that you install RPostgreSQL from source against your own
PostgreSQL installation.  (That's what I do on my Windows desktop
which does have PostgreSQL installed, and when I updated PostgreSQL I
had to re-install PostgreSQL ....)