[R] Scatter plot using icons (from a gif) instaed of points - is it possible ?

baptiste auguie baptiste.auguie at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 14 20:54:22 CEST 2009

Hi,

You'll probably find that there are two parts to your query:

1- import a bitmap into R, for this I'd suggest the wiki page,
http://wiki.r-project.org/rwiki/doku.php?id=tips:graphics-misc:display-images

2- place the image (now some sort of matrix of colour points) at
different locations on a graph. I don't know any function to do this
(*) (but there may be some listed in the above webpage).

Another option is to convert the bitmap to vector graphics using an
external tool, then use the grImport package to create a grob
(graphical object) that you can then place in any Grid-based plot
(there is an example with lattice).

HTH,

baptiste

(*) this may look like a starting point:
http://wiki.r-project.org/rwiki/doku.php?id=tips:graphics-grid:displaybitmap