[R] installing R on Ubuntu, can ignore warning messages?

Ista Zahn istazahn at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 05:25:50 CEST 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 11:01 PM, Robert Wilkins <robstdev at gmail.com> wrote:
> It does, thank you. I was able to understand enough of it to do the
> install successfully . Still trying to understand the later paragraphs
> such as install.package() and the r-cran-foo build dependencies. (the
> site you pointed me to is the same site i did a printout of yesterday
> to try to do an install, the readme file prints to 3 pages).
>
> Is there an easy way to:
> 1: List the R-related packages and add-ons that are already installed?
> no point in trying to install what you already got!
Open a terminal and type

sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude search r-cran

The packages marked with an "i" on the leftmost column are installed.
Those marked with a p are not installed.

> 2: List the R-related packages and add-ons that are available?
> Probably a big number of them?
sudo aptitude search r-cran will give you the list of packages
available through the apt package management system. Additional
packages are listed on the CRAN website, and can be installed using
install.packages("PackageName") at the R command line.

> Also, for people who try Ubuntu out for the first time could be thrown
> for a loop by the weird way it handles the root account:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo
Depends on what your're used to. I've been using Ubuntu long enough
that sudo is second nature...

> thanks again.
Glad to help.

-Ista