[R] packaging R

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Thu Oct 15 14:19:22 CEST 2009

On 15/10/2009 7:00 AM, H Rao wrote:
> I can license the application under GPL
>
> On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 6:47 PM, Duncan Murdoch <murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
> <mailto:murdoch at stats.uwo.ca>> wrote:
>
>     On 14/10/2009 6:35 PM, H Rao wrote:
>
>         Hi,
>
>         I am planning to use R as the backend in my application and VB
>         as the front
>         end. I want to be able to distribute it as a stand alone
>         application and my
>         users should not have to install R separately to use the
>         application. I want
>         to be able to integrate the R interpreter into the application
>         so that just
>         installing the application should take care of everything. Is
>         this something
>         which is possible with R
>

>     Is your application licensed under the GPL, or a compatible license?  .

Then I don't think there's any basis for an objection.  The only issues
are in doing it:  we use Inno Setup as our installer, and it could
certainly set things up for you.  The easiest way to do this is to make
a model installation on your own machine, then run Inno Setup to make an
installer from it.  If your application needs configuration (e.g.
setting local directories, registry entries, etc.) then it's more work,
but it's all fairly straightforward.  R can make use of such
customizations (and our installer does them), but it doesn't need them.

Duncan Murdoch