[R] Generating a stochastic matrix with a specified second dominant eigenvalue

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sat Oct 17 05:13:19 CEST 2009

A further idea:

  Consider the triangular square matrices of the form with decreasing
eigenvalues on the diagonal:

1   0   0   0   0   0
.3 .7   0   0   0   0
.4 .2  .4   0   0   0
.2 .4  .2  .2   0   0
.1 .3  .4  .2  .1   0
.2 .2  .2  .2  .1  .1

This would have the specified eigenvalue composition. Couldn't you
then apply "Gaussian reduction" row operations not for the purpose of
"reduction" but essentially the inverse? Wouldn't these all be in the
class of matrices that are "row echelon equivalent"? Don't they have
identical eigenvalues? Couldn't you fill in the lower triangular
elements with a random group of elements drawn from runif() calls.
And then a series of Gaussian row operations that preserved the
stochastic character?

  e.g. a*Row1 +(1-a)Row6 -> Row1

--
David Winsemius, MD