[R] how to have tkchooseDirectory resize in windows?

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Sat Oct 17 09:31:32 CEST 2009

David Gattrell wrote:
> R-2.8.0  / tcltk8.5
> In windows, Rgui.exe has a directory browser that can be resized, but when I
> call
> tkchooseDirectory(), it is a fixed size.  In linux, when I call
> tkchooseDirectory() it
> can be resized.
> How do I get a windows version that I can resize?

You're at the mercy of Tcl/Tk itself here, and in turn they are at the
mercy of Microsoft and back compatibility issues. (I.e. Windows itself
has had a new-style dialog for a while, but Tk hasn't been setting the
appropriate flag.)

Judging by the thread at

http://www.rhinocerus.net/forum/lang-tcl/556193-modernizing-windows-tk_choosedirectory-dialog.html

a modernized Windows tk_chooseDirectory is going into Tcl/Tk 8.5.8.