[R] Pausing R

Rainer M Krug r.m.krug at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 14:51:02 CEST 2009

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 2:40 PM, Anders Carlsson
<anders.carlsson at immun.lth.se> wrote:

> Peter Dalgaard wrote:
>>
>> Anders Carlsson wrote:
>>

>>> Hello,
>>> I’m currently running a script that takes several days to complete, and
>>> have therefore chosen to start two instances of R, each doing half the
>>> work (since I have a two-processor machine). The problem is that this
>>> renders my computer worthless to do other work on. So - is it possible
>>> to pause one of the running R instances to do other things for a while,
>>> and then starting it again without losing anything?
>>>
>>> TL;DR I want to know if it is possible to pause a running script.
>>>

>> Well it is easy on Unix/Linux and presumably also MacOSX, but (as Brian
>> Ripley once put it) since you're not telling us what OS you are using,
>> it is probably Windows... Looks like iet is possible there via 3rd party
>> tools; e.g., there's something called DTaskManager.
>>

> I realized I missed that just after submitting... But you were right of
> course - I am a Windows user.

I am not - I am using Linux.

Just for interests sake: how can I pause a task in Linux?

Rainer

> DTaskManager did the trick - many thanks!
>
> /Anders

Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Natural Sciences Building
Office Suite 2039
Stellenbosch University
Main Campus, Merriman Avenue
Stellenbosch
South Africa

Cell:           +27 - (0)83 9479 042
Fax:            +27 - (0)86 516 2782
Fax:            +49 - (0)721 151 334 888
email:          Rainer at krugs.de

Skype:          RMkrug
Google:         R.M.Krug at gmail.com