[R] Perl error - Can't locate R/Rdconv.pm in @INC

Grainne Kerr grainne.kerr at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 16:38:07 CEST 2009

Dear list,

I've a package, myPkg, which was developed on R v 2.6.1.

I have installed R v2.9.2 from source, with a shared library and tcktk
support. The
package, myPkg, depends on RSPerl, and imports it in its NAMESPACE.

I've downloaded and installed RSPerl using command:

>R CMD INSTALL -c --configure-args="--with-modules='IO \
Fcntl Socket Storable XML::Parser::Expat DB_File File::Glob \
GDBM_File SDBM_File POSIX'" RSPerl

When installing myPkg, I use the following command:

>R CMD INSTALL myPkg

* Installing to library ‘/usr/local/lib/R/library’
* Installing *source* package ‘myPkg’ ...
** R
** inst
** preparing package for lazy loading
Warning: 'Sys.putenv' is deprecated.
Use 'Sys.setenv' instead.
See help("Deprecated")
** help
*** installing help indices
Can't locate R/Rdconv.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/local/lib/R/library/
RSPerl/perl/i486-linux-gnu-thread-multi
/usr/local/lib/R/library/RSPerl/perl /etc/perl
/usr/local/lib/perl/5.10.0 /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.0 /usr/lib/perl5
/usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.10 /usr/share/perl/5.10
/usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at
/usr/local/lib/R/share/perl/build-help.pl line 21.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/usr/local/lib/R/share/perl/build-help.pl line 21.
ERROR: building help failed for package ‘myPkg’

So - its can't find the perl module, Rdconv.pm, to build the help modules in the
perl path. Doing a quick search for this module - its found at the
location below (a location not in the perl path).

>find / -name "Rdconv.pm"
/usr/local/lib/R/share/perl/R/Rdconv.pm

I changed the NAMESPACE file in my myPkg package, so as not to
import RSPerl. I altered the build-help.pl in R to print out the perl
path.

Path when RSPerl not imported:

/usr/local/lib/R/share/perl
/usr/local/lib/R/share/perl
/etc/perl
/usr/local/lib/perl/5.10.0
/usr/local/share/perl/5.10.0
/usr/lib/perl5
/usr/share/perl5
/usr/lib/perl/5.10
/usr/share/perl/5.10
/usr/local/lib/site_perl

(Also, the perl path when installing RSPerl (i.e. before installing myPkg)

/usr/local/lib/R/share/perl
/usr/local/lib/R/share/perl
/etc/perl
/usr/local/lib/perl/5.10.0
/usr/local/share/perl/5.10.0
/usr/lib/perl5
/usr/share/perl5
/usr/lib/perl/5.10
/usr/share/perl/5.10
/usr/local/lib/site_perl)

Obviously, if I  run "R CMD INSTALL --no-docs myPkg" it installs
fine. It also installs with older versions of R.
I'm running Ubuntu 9.04.

I have already posted (probably erroneously) this help plea of the
r-devel mailing list - I apologise for cross-posting. Any ideas what
should I look for in the code in order to fix this? Any pointers in
the right direction or what to look for would be very much
appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Grainne.

R> sessionInfo()

R version 2.9.2 (2009-08-24)
i686-pc-linux-gnu

locale:
LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8;LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8;LC_MONETARY=C;LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8;LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8;LC_NAME=C;LC_ADDRESS=C;LC_TELEPHONE=C;LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8;LC_IDENTIFICATION=C

attached base packages: