[R] Temperature Prediction Model

Aneeta anestays at cs.sunysb.edu
Wed Oct 21 18:31:24 CEST 2009

Greetings!

As part of my research project I am using R to study temperature data
collected by a network. Each node (observation point) records temperature of
its surroundings throughout the day and generates a dataset. Using the
recorded datasets for the past 7 days I need to build a prediction model for
each node that would enable it to check the observed data against the
predicted data. How can I derive an equation for temperature using the
datasets?
The following is a subset of one of the datasets:-

      Time              Temperature

07:00:17.369668   17.509
07:03:17.465725   17.509
07:04:17.597071   17.509
07:05:17.330544   17.509
07:10:47.838123   17.5482
07:14:16.680696   17.5874
07:16:46.67457     17.5972
07:29:16.887654   17.7442
07:29:46.705759   17.754
07:32:17.131713   17.7932
07:35:47.113953   17.8324
07:36:17.194981   17.8324
07:37:17.227013   17.852
07:38:17.809174   17.8618
07:38:48.00011     17.852
07:39:17.124362   17.8618
07:41:17.130624   17.8912
07:41:46.966421   17.901
07:43:47.524823   17.95
07:44:47.430977   17.95
07:45:16.813396   17.95

So far I have tried to use linear model fit but have not found it to be
useful. You may look at the attached graph for further reference.
http://www.nabble.com/file/p25995874/Regression%2BModel%2Bfor%2BNode%2B1%2BDay%2B1.png
Regression+Model+for+Node+1+Day+1.png
I would really appreciate if you could suggest the correct approach to
building such a prediction model.

Many thanks,
Aneeta