[R] date conversion not as i would have expected

Duncan Mackay mackay at northnet.com.au
Wed Oct 21 22:58:27 CEST 2009

Hi

This is on WinXP with regional settings as EST (we are now on DST but I run
EST) R2.9.2

x <- structure(1254351600, class = c("POSIXt", "POSIXct"), tzone = "")
[1] "2009-10-01 09:00:00 EST"
 > as.POSIXlt(x)
[1] "2009-10-01 09:00:00 EST"
 > as.Date(x, formate="%Y-%m-%d" )
[1] "2009-09-30"

I had a similar problem last week. I am not sure how Bill Gates does his
times but for R see Rnews 4(1).
There are slight differences between POSIX and Date classes

NB If you run EST in DST periods Bill Gates still gives the file stamp as
DST in Vista and XP.
I would presume that it is the same for other zones where there is summer
time zones

Regards

Duncan Mackay
Department of Agronomy and Soil Science