[R] connecting to Oracle

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Sat Oct 24 02:23:10 CEST 2009

On Oct 23, 2009, at 2:08 PM, whizvast wrote:

> Hi, useR-
>
> I am connecting to Oracle database using RODBC, but keep getting
> this error
> message:
>
>> library(RODBC)
>> channel <- odbcConnect(dsn="abc", uid="abc", pwd="abc",
>> case='oracle')
> Warning in odbcDriverConnect(st, ...) :
>  [RODBC] ERROR: state IM002, code 0, message [Microsoft][ODBC Driver
> Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified
> Warning in odbcDriverConnect(st, ...) : ODBC connection failed
>
> Do you know what needs to be corrected? I am a beginner in DB.
> There was a post for the exact same message, but no one replied.
> Hope this time someone else help me! Thank you.

The first place to start would be to read the RODBC vignette. You can
do this by looking at the online version:

http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/RODBC/vignettes/RODBC.pdf

or by using:

library(RODBC)
vignette("RODBC")

It's been a while since I have used Windows, but at first glance it is
likely going to be one of:

You have not properly installed and configured the Oracle ODBC driver
on your system
You have not correctly specified a DSN for your Oracle server
You are perhaps missing some required environment variables

The vignette covers some of these issues in Appendix A.

If you have access to a SysAdmin who is familiar with your Oracle
server configuration, you may need technical assistance in order to
get the various network and server settings that will be required.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz