[R] Severe growing pains with new help system

Petr PIKAL petr.pikal at precheza.cz
Tue Oct 27 10:08:59 CET 2009

Hi

I have just installed R 2.10.0 version (I used dev version before) and
have similar problems with help files.
starting plain version freshly installed R on WXP

R version 2.10.0 (2009-10-26)
Copyright (C) 2009 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
ISBN 3-900051-07-0

?plot

only text help appears

> help.start()
starting httpd help server ... done
If nothing happens, you should open
'http://127.0.0.1:31757/doc/html/index.html' yourself

pops up browser window with

ERROR

While trying to retrieve the URL:
http://127.0.0.1:31757/doc/html/index.html
The following error was encountered:
Connection to 127.0.0.1 Failed
The system returned:
    (111) Connection refused
The remote host or network may be down. Please try the request again.

If I try to start help from local /doc/html/packages.html I can start the
browser but when trying to access let say plot help I end with

Tyto webové stránky nebyly nalezeny.
# web pages was not found

Na webové adrese se nepodařilo nalézt žádnou webovou stránku:
file:///D:/programy/R-2.10.0/library/graphics/html/plot.html
# There is no web page
file:///D:/programy/R-2.10.0/library/graphics/html/plot.html

Více informací o této chybě
Níže uvádíme původní chybovou zprávu
# more information about this fault

Chyba 6(net::ERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND): Soubor nebo adresář se nepodařilo
nalézt.

One workaround could be to copy help files from old version of R but I
wonder if this is intended method.

I apologise if I overlooked some simple solution but I did not find a clue
in NEWS and/or CHANGES.
It may be due to security setting of our network but before I will ask our
IT guys I would like to cope with it myself. I could bear with text help
but html help is much more convenient.

BTW. Does this kind of html help work with PC which is not connected to
web?

Best regards
Petr Pikal