[R] 'R CMD check' fails with "evaluation nested too deeply: infinite recursion"

Joerg van den Hoff j.van_den_hoff at fzd.de
Wed Oct 28 12:15:50 CET 2009

I get the error

Error : evaluation nested too deeply: infinite recursion / options(expressions=)?

during a 'R CMD check ...'

on one of my packages. The reason seems to be that this package is
mutually dependent on another one (i.e. the DESCRIPTION files of package
A lists package B under "Depends" and vice versa). this might be bad
design (having bits in both packages needed by the other), but I believe
prior to R 2.9. this did not cause trouble. now the log file of the
'check' is something like

Installing *source* package 'roiutils' ...
** R
** exec
** preparing package for lazy loading
=======================CUT (many more of the same) ========================
Error : evaluation nested too deeply: infinite recursion / options(expressions=)?

i.e. it seems that R loads both packages again and again.

what am I missing/doing wrong?

thanks in advance

joerg

PS:

platform       powerpc-apple-darwin8.11.1
arch           powerpc
os             darwin8.11.1
system         powerpc, darwin8.11.1
status
major          2
minor          9.2
year           2009
month          08
day            24
svn rev        49384
language       R
version.string R version 2.9.2 (2009-08-24)