[R] Presence Absence of variables in a multivariate data set

gcam032 gcam032 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 02:02:20 CET 2009

I'm sure this is a simple problem, however I need a bit of help to sort it
out.

I have a multivariate data set of elements.  Some of the observations have
some amount of certain elements but are lacking in others.  Therefore, I
want to quickly group/cluster the observations based on a presence/absence
type scenario.

I have converted the dataset to binary where presence = 1 and absence = 0.

I am toying around with Logistic regression, hclust of the binary data and
even PCA with the binary data.  The latter two clearly group the data based
on presence/absence, but I feel there must be a "usual" way to do what I'm
attempting.

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks