[R] Trouble retrieving data (.xls) from folder on my computer.

tobiasfa tobias.farnlycke at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 14:36:13 CET 2009

Using gdata on windows and im having trouble to retrieve an excel file from a
folder on my computer.

This is my dummy:
R > download.file("http://people.su.se/~lundh/data/cpi_kpix.rda",
+ "cpi_kpix.rda")

R > URL <- "http://people.su.se/"
R > PATH <- "~lundh/data/"
R > FILE <- "cpi_kpix.rda"
R > download.file(paste(URL,PATH,FILE,sep=""),
+ "cpi_kpix.rda")

R > library(gdata)
R > FILE <- "Stock_Returns_1931_2002.xls"
R > stock.xls <- read.xls(paste(URL, PATH, FILE, sep = ""),
+ header = TRUE)[, 3:4]
Downloading...
Done.
Converting xls file to csv file... Done.
Reading csv file... Done.

Im not suppose to download the file though its already on my computer. How
do i type in the path så R finds my .xls??

kind regards Tobias