[R] package installation error

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Wed Sep 2 12:32:05 CEST 2009

Héctor Villalobos wrote:
> Hi,
>

> This also happens in 2.9.1 and 2.9.2. My personal solution is to look
> under ' C:\Program Files\R\R-2.9.0\library' for a bizarre-named
> directory (starts with an 'f' and has numbers and letters mixed) ,
> which contains the package directory (in this case 'robustbase') and
> move it up one level (like the other packages). This is annoying, but
> so far is the only solutions I have found.

I haven't been able to reproduce this, so all I can do is guess at the
cause, but it looks as though a directory rename failed.  One cause for
that would be that some application (like a virus checker, or file
indexer, or some other background process) has a file open within the
directory.  You could try disabling all such programs (though it's not
easy in Windows, there are lots of ways to start them) and see if that
helps.

Duncan Murdoch