[R] "biplot" graphical options?

Meyners, Michael, LAUSANNE, AppliedMathematics Michael.Meyners at rdls.nestle.com
Wed Sep 2 14:14:08 CEST 2009

Taking the example from ?biplot.princomp with reproducible code (hint,
hint):

biplot(princomp(USArrests))
biplot(princomp(USArrests), col=c(2,3), cex=c(1/2, 2))

clearly changes the color and font size on my system. For changing the
"point symbols" (which are text by default), try setting xlabs and
ylabs. But of course, an argument "pch" will not have any effect, as
biplot does have no call to "points" or similar, but to "text" only (and
hence mainly parameters of "text" will have an effect on what you aim
at). So for documentation, I'd propose ?biplot.princomp and
?biplot.default.

For changes that are truly impossible (there are indeed some), take the
code for biplot.default (or biplot.princomp) and amend where necessary
to fulfill your needs.

HTH, Michael