[R] Moving Rterm.exe to another location

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Thu Sep 3 16:43:49 CEST 2009

Dennis Fisher wrote:
> Colleagues,
>
> I have encountered the following situation in R (2.9.0) with Windows XP.
>
> I have an application that calls Rterm.exe.  In certain situations, the
> application terminates but fails to close R.  Then, the next time that
> the application runs, there are replicated copies of R running - this
> slows the system.  One solution would be to kill any open versions of
> Rterm.exe each time the application terminates.  But, that would affect
> other legitimate copies of Rterm.
>
> The solution to that problem is simple.  Instead of running Rterm.exe, I
> copy Rterm.exe to Rterm-nnnnn.exe, execute that version, then when the
> job is complete, I can specifically terminate that version using
> Window's taskkill command.
>
> Unfortunately, I just encountered a new problem.  If the R folder has
> restricted privileges, it appears that I cannot copy Rterm.exe to the
> same folder.  So, I attempted a work-around, i.e., move the copy to
> another folder (e.g., Desktop).  However, this does not work - when the
> copy is in another location, it opens, then closes immediately.
>
> So, my question is: is there some means to call Rterm.exe (I assume that
> the same would apply to R.exe) from a folder other the bin?

It does not need to be called bin, but must be in the same level of the
directory structure within the main R folder.

I guess you could better record the PID of your R session (Sys.getpid(),
say in some file) and delete that file on graceful exit of R. Otherwise
you can kill the process with the old PID later on.

Uwe Ligges