[R] Party plots

AnnieE aelmore at usgs.gov
Thu Sep 3 21:56:39 CEST 2009

Achim Zeileis wrote:

>>>You can easily plot into a large PDF, e.g., something like this
>
>>>   pdf(file = "foo.pdf", height = 15, width = 20)
>>>   plot(foo)
>>>   dev.off()
>
>>>and then view the PDF in an external viewer, zooming into parts of a tree
>>>etc. Depending on the size of the tree in "foo", you might have to adjust
>>>height/width accordingly.

Thanks very much.  That sounds like just what I'm looking for and have been
unable to ferret out in my search through manuals and forums.  I'm still a
bit stuck though, because of my unfamiliarity with pulling stuff in and out
of R.

How do you get the initial .pdf file that you're manipulating here?  I tried
saving the R graphic to a PDF on my desktop and then running

     pdf (file = C:/Documents and Settings/aelmore/Desktop/foo.pdf, height =
15, width = 20)
     plot (foo)
     dev.off()

but that netted me the error:  unexpected '/' in "pdf(file = C:/
and of course trying it without the string returned the error:  object "foo"
not found.

What am I missing?  Is the graphic that R displays when I call for a plot
somehow available for use here?  If so, I don't know what it's called/how to
access it.  The name of the regression tree that it represents doesn't work.
That attempt gave me the error: cannot coerce type 'S4' to vector of type
'character.'

So, as you see, closer but still stuck.

Thanks again in advance for any assistance.