[R] Video Analysis?

spencerg spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Sun Sep 6 13:51:00 CEST 2009

Thanks to Kevin Middleton, Barry Bowlingson, M. Austenfeld:

      The Hedrick reference is very interesting, digitizing a video of
the flight of a moth.  This shows the state of the art AND describes
"freely available MATLAB" code.  I've used Matlab before, but it would
strain my budget right now to obtain it.  I've translated Matlab into R
before, and I could do that again if needed.  First, however, I think I
want to review the "Motion"  and "OpenCV" projects -- and possibly
"ImageJ".

      I want to convert videos into functional time series, more
complicated than the "gait" data set in the "fda" package but perhaps
not as demanding as Hendrick's the flight of a moth.  I want to measure
dynamic bridge deflection midspan to see how that varies between spans
and throughout a duty cycle.  I will ultimately want to measure
millimeters from high resolution video if possible.  For a railroad
bridge, a duty cycle will be the passing of a train, measuring both
maximum deflection and oscillations.  For highway bridges, I want to be
able to measure the changes from the morning rush hour to midday to the
late afternoon rush hour -- and preferably also the mostly unloaded
period between 2 and 3 AM.  I might be able to place corner reflectors
on the bridge to mark the points I want to trace, though I'd prefer to
be able to do it without that.  In any event, I'd like to create a
functional time series.  I may also be able to get traffic counts, so I
could model deflection as a function of traffic.

      Thanks again to Middleton, Bowlingson, and Austenfeld.

      Best Wishes,
      Spencer

--
Spencer Graves, PE, PhD