[R] How many attributes are there of a variable?

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Sun Sep 6 23:21:15 CEST 2009

Peng,

You can create all the attributes you want, with one headache: R does
not keep attributes across subsetting operations so you need to write
classes and "[.something" methods when attributions need to be kept or
adjusted upon subsetting rows.

The Hmisc package uses attributes such as label, units, imputed.  You
might look at the code to see how it did that.  For example, label(x)
will use attr(x, 'label') to fetch the 'label' attribute.  There are
attribute-setting functions there too.

Frank