[R] Why tempdir() always give me the same results in the same session?

cls59 chuck at sharpsteen.net
Mon Sep 7 03:17:48 CEST 2009

Peng Yu wrote:

> tempdir() always gives me the same result. Should it give a different
> result each time I call it?

The help page for tempdir() contains the following explanation of the return
value:

?tempdir

For tempdir, the path of the per-session temporary directory.

I would interpret that to mean that each time you start R a temporary
directory is assigned which retains a static value until you close R and
then open it again later.

-Charlie

-----
Charlie Sharpsteen