[R] linear mixed model question

Daniel Malter daniel at umd.edu
Mon Sep 7 19:36:49 CEST 2009

Wen, to follow up on Thierry, your workers are nested in machines (since each
worker only works one machine). Consider fitting a nested model. Though,
with few observations, you might run into the same problem. Further, if you
have observation triplets, and you expect systematic differences between
each trial, then you would have to include a trial effect in some way.

Have you plotted the data? This can be very informative.

Finally, you may want to consider a fixed-effects approach. Throw in worker
dummies only (without intercept) and test the linear hypothesis that the sum
of the worker dummy coefficients is equal between two machines. The
following example does that for two machines (if you have n machines you
would have binomial coefficient (n,2) linear hypotheses):
#simulate data
machines=rep(c(0,1),each=9)
workers=rep(c(1:6),each=3)
workers.re=rep(rnorm(6),each=3)
error=rnorm(18,0.3)
output=2*machines+workers.re+error

#code machines and workers as factors/dummies
machines=as.factor(machines)

#run OLS (fixed effects) of output on worker dummies without intercept
fm4=lm(output~-1+workers)
summary(fm4)

#test the linear hypothesis that coefficients on the worker dummies are
equal for both machines
#the equivalent formulation used is: is the sum of the coefficients across
machines equal to zero?
library(car)
linear.hypothesis(fm4,hypothesis.matrix=c(1,1,1,-1,-1,-1),rhs=c(0))

hope that helps,
daniel
workers=as.factor(workers)