[R] Running R in Windows server

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Thu Sep 10 16:50:34 CEST 2009

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 3:07 PM, srpd TCLTK<srpd2009 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I'm trying to set up a server which allows different users to use R simultaneously. Is it possible in Windows?
> I know that a LINUX Server is probably a better option, but I had already created a GUI with Tcl/tk in Windows. So some of the events don't work in LINUX.

  You need Windows Terminal Server 2008 (or 2003) plus the right
client access licenses (CALs) depending on how you expect the machine
to be used. A thousand dollars gets you a single server license plus 5
CALs. Then your 5 users connect to it from their Windows PCs using the
Windows Remote Desktop Connection program. So your users will need
Windows XP (or Vista, or 7) licenses as well, unless they have
linux/mac desktops in which case they can use rdesktop to connect.

  Is it a thousand dollars worth of hassle to make your Tcl/Tk program
OS-independent? Plus the time it takes to learn how to set up and
admin a Windows TS 2008 box...

Barry