[R] sppolot: fill below minimum legend value

Paul Hiemstra p.hiemstra at geo.uu.nl
Fri Sep 11 10:23:57 CEST 2009

emorway wrote:
> In the plot below, there are some grid cells that have values below 10, which
> is the lowest "cut" value I have specified.  Is there a way, without
> adjusting the number of cuts, to tell R to fill in those cells with the
> lowest possible color (in this case greeen)?  There is a white "hole" in the
> image about a quarter of the way in from the left side, this is what I would
> like to correct.  Thanks...Eric
>
> The code:
> pts<-list("sp.points",K.dat,pch=3,col="black")
> cuts<-c(10,20,30,40,50,60,70,80,90,100,200,300,400,500,600,700,800,900,1000)
> spplot(lzm.krige.dir["var1.pred"],at=cuts,colorkey=list(at=log10(cuts),at=log10(cuts),labels=as.character(cuts)),scales=list(draw=TRUE),
> xlab="Easting",ylab="Northing",key.space="right",cex=1.1,col.regions=terrain.colors(30),main="Hydraulic
> Conductivity of Layer 2",sp.layout=list(pts))
>
> The image:
> http://www.nabble.com/file/p25392472/Image3.jpeg

Hi Eric,

As far as I know you need to set the lower value of cuts to the minimum
of the dataset to prevent this white space from occuring. If you don't
want to see this in the colorbar, you need to adjust it using the
colorkey argument.

And a non-technical note, you e-mail doesn't give a lot of background
regarding your problem. spplot is a function that is only used by people
working with geographic data, which is probably a small subset of the
total community. See the posting guide for some hints about what kind of
information is necessary in an e-mail to r-help, for example a
reproducible example. In addition, there is a mailing list specifically
meant for geographic data, r-sig-geo, where you are more likely to get
the answers you are looking for.

cheers and good luck,
Paul

--