[R] Best R text editors?

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz02 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 17:11:55 CEST 2009

Ted, I think I share your feelings about mice (e.g., that is why I use
window managers where the mouse is not needed or is actually
discouraged) but ...

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 4:46 PM, Ted Harding
<Ted.Harding at manchester.ac.uk> wrote:
> On 11-Sep-09 14:16:44, Clint Bowman wrote:

>>> That's a strange disability.  It took me several months to learn to
>>> touch-type (and years later I'm still not very good at the top-row
>>> numbers or
>>> the special symbols on them), but I memorized the location of the two
>>> buttons
>>> on my mouse in no time at all.
>>>
>>> Duncan Murdoch
>>
>> Ahh, just Ted's point--mice have three buttons (unless they are
>> connected to Apples).
>>
>> Clint
>
> Well, not really!! My point (and certainly Charles Curran's point)
> is that in touch-typing you know by proprioception and neuromuscular
> coordination where your fingers are relative to the keys on the
> keyboard, and what key you will press next, without looking; and
> you can accurately press several keys in rapid succession -- just
> as a pianist can play an arpeggio without looking.
>
> But "touch-mousing" isn't just knowing where the mouse itself is,
> nor the buttons. It would involve knowing from the sensations of
> moving the mouse where the mouse-pointer was on the screen, without
> looking, and also what graphic element (icon, on-screen button,
> tab in a drop-down menu) the mouse was over, also without looking.
>
> You can type accurately and rapidly withnout looking at the keyboard.
> You can't use a mouse with closely and accurately observing where
> the mouse-pointer is in the GUI. You can touch type. You can't

It is here that I disagree: if the idea is "typing without looking at
the keyboard", then the correct analogy seems to me to be "moving the
mouse around without looking at the mouse". And the later is certainly
doable.

(OK, you can type without looking at the keyboard AND without looking
at your monitor, such as when copying or translating, and that is not
feasible with mice).

> touch-mouse. (Unless you have one of those "accessibility" add-ons
> for the visually impaired, where a "SatNav" voice tells you what
> the mouse is over, and what is written in the tab from the drop-down
> menu).
>
> Also, the ocasionnal misstake in typing is usually fairly harmless.
> Mistakes in mousing can be catastrophic. However, when one is typing

Hummm... I am not sure that is a fair comparison either: certain mouse
actions can be bound to some catastrophic actions. But I could have a
command called "er" (e.g., ERase absolutely everything), which does
something equally catastrophic and accidentally type that instead of
"df".

The problem there is not in the mouse or the keyboard, but somewhere else.

Best,

R.