[R] Moving to Mac OS X

Noah Silverman noah at smartmediacorp.com
Fri Sep 11 21:08:19 CEST 2009

Hi,

I'm a daily user of both mac and Linux so wanted to offer some thoughts:

1) R runs great on a Mac.  There is a standard install from the cran
website that has a nice GUI built into it.  You can do things like drag
files to the console and it will fill in the path name.

2) I like using BBedit for all my programming needs.  IMHO BBedit is the
most powerful editor I've seen in my many years of programming.  There
is a small plugin that understands the R language.  My general workflow
is to write code in BBedit and then run it in R using the "source"
function.

3) I purposefully chose NOT to install 64bit R.  I have a dual-core
machine.  With the 32 bit version, R will happily keep one core running
at 100%, but then I have other core free for my "regular" work.