[R] SPSS Statistics-R Integration Plug-In

Muenchen, Robert A (Bob) muenchen at utk.edu
Sat Sep 12 15:52:00 CEST 2009

Hi Michael,

I've used the R plug-in and really like it. You can read my instructions
on how to install and use it by going to Amazon.com, searching for the
book, "R for SAS and SPSS Users" and then "search inside the book" for
the section, "Running R from SPSS". I've only got about 3 pages on it
(28 bottom through 31), and Amazon will let you read them all.

You do need to choose a specific version of R, but the old versions are
kept on CRAN, so they're easy to get. Version 18 of SPSS actually ships
with the version of R it needs on the SPSS DVD.

SPSS makes it really easy to transfer data and results back and forth,
and it formats the results nicely as SPSS pivot tables. I also have an
example of how to make an R program appear on the SPSS menus in "R you
taking advantage of R?", an SPSS Directions 2009 talk. It's at:
http://RforSASandSPSSusers.com, right-hand side.

Cheers,
Bob