[R] How to set default plotting colors by treatment?

Paul Hiemstra p.hiemstra at geo.uu.nl
Mon Sep 14 13:19:42 CEST 2009

Remko Duursma wrote:
>> col=c("blue","red")mydfr$[treatment]
>>

> Yes, but I would like to use the function for lots of other dataframes
> as well, so embedding 'mydfr' in the function is not the ideal
> solution...

The problem is that the info in 'treatment' is non-constant, and you
need to either pass on the info into the scope of the function, or you
need to calculate the values in 'treatment' inside the function. Could
you provide us with a reproducible example (as suggested in the posting
guide), that would make it much easier for us to answer you question

veel succes!
Paul

> remko

> Remko Duursma
> Post-Doctoral Fellow
>
> Centre for Plants and the Environment
> University of Western Sydney
> Hawkesbury Campus
> Richmond NSW 2753
>
> Dept of Biological Science
> Macquarie University
> North Ryde NSW 2109
> Australia
>
> Mobile: +61 (0)422 096908
> www.remkoduursma.com
>

> On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 6:08 PM, Polwart Calum (County Durham and
> Darlington NHS Foundation Trust) <calum.polwart at nhs.net> wrote:
>
>>> # I tried defining a function like this
>>> myplot <- function(...)plot(..., pch=19, col=c("blue","red")[treatment])
>>>
>>> # So i can call it like this:
>>> with(mydfr, myplot(Xmeas, Ymeas))
>>>
>>> # but:
>>> Error in plot.xy(xy, type, ...) : object 'treatment' not found
>>>

>> basically that is something like calling:
>>
>> myplot( mydfr$Xmeas, mydfr$Ymeas )
>>
>> So plot doesn't know that treatment is within mydfr...
>>
>> changing your function to:
>>
>> myplot <- function(...) {
>> plot(...,
>>       pch=19,