[R] Location of Packages?

cls59 chuck at sharpsteen.net
Mon Sep 14 18:18:35 CEST 2009

iaw4 wrote:

> Sorry, one more: on OSX, I deleted my old 2.9.2 R.app, and installed the
> 64
> bit version of 2.9.0.  I then did an "install.packages("car")" under my
> new
> 2.9.0.  It seems to have worked, but alas, I still get an error that
> package
> 'car' was built under R version 2.9.2 .  Where exactly does R under OSX
> install its packages?  (is it a bug that another car is loaded?)

If you are using the standard install on OSX, then packages are kept in:

/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library

If you installed the package from CRAN then I think the warning may be
related to CRAN using the most recent version of R to build packages. i.e.
you are running R 2.9.0, but the CRAN server was the actual builder of the
package you are using and it was running R 2.9.2.

iaw4 wrote:

> PS: do I need to install the car packages under the 64-bit version, or
> will
> it be seen by the 64 bit version if I do a 32-bit install?  Or do I need
> do a double install?  for safety, I did it under the command line version,
> which I presume is still 32-bit, and the 64 bit GUI.

If you installed a distribution that includes both i386 and x86_64 versions
then R will be able to run in both modes, depending on the situation. Check
the folder names in:

/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/bin/exec

To see which versions you have available. With the 64 bit GUI from:

http://r.research.att.com

You will be running the 64-bit R binaries whenever you start the GUI. For R
on the command line, you can specify which version gets used by setting the
environment variable R_ARCH to either i386 or x86_64

iaw4 wrote:

> PPS: how do I learn which version of R is running?

Try sessioninfo()

Hope this helps!

-Charlie

-----