[R] Location of Packages?

cls59 chuck at sharpsteen.net
Mon Sep 14 18:24:52 CEST 2009

iaw4 wrote:

> PS: do I need to install the car packages under the 64-bit version, or
> will
> it be seen by the 64 bit version if I do a 32-bit install?  Or do I need
> do a double install?  for safety, I did it under the command line version,
> which I presume is still 32-bit, and the 64 bit GUI.

Ooops, there was one point I wanted to clarify related to this. The
architecture of your machine only matters if the package contains code that
needs to be compiled-- i.e. Fortran or C routines. When installing packages,
R will automatically attempt build separate libraries with versions of these
routines for every architecture listed in:

/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/bin/exec

So you shouldn't need to worry about "double installing" or "dual
building"-- it should be taken care of for you.

P.S
I have had some problems building ppc64 binaries from source on OS X when
installing packages. Since I am running an x86_64 machine, I have no need
for these binaries, so I simply removed the ppc64 folder from
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/bin/exec to stop the builds.

-----
Charlie Sharpsteen
Undergraduate
Environmental Resources Engineering