[R] Plea: No long unbroken lines, please!

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at manchester.ac.uk
Mon Sep 14 21:42:52 CEST 2009

Hi Folks,
I don't often grumble, but this time I've found myself inconvenienced
by a posting stored on R-help archives:

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2009-September/211095.html

This was Karin Groothuis-Oudshoorn & Stef van Buuren's message
on 10 September about the new version of MICE.

This has been sent by software which inserted no line-breaks.
As a result, each paragraph is viewed (by my browser, Firefox)
as one very long line, not wrapped. In particular, the third
paragraph, about the extensions which have been introduced, comes
out as a single line 657 characters long, of which I can only see
about one fifth at a time. This makes it very difficult to take
in what is written.

The only way to get it decent is to Copy&Paste the content into
a local file, and then tidy that up oneself.

So may I please ask people to try to avoid sending long unbroken
lines?

(And perhaps the pipermail server may have a configuration option
which would insert line-breaks at suitable places?)

With thanks!

Question: In a case (like this) where there is a posting in the
archives which one wishes one had retained oneself, is there any
way to get pipermail to re-send it to oneself? In that way, it
could resume its rightful place in one's own email inbox. (This
is not the first time I have wished for this).

Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861
Date: 14-Sep-09                                       Time: 20:42:45