[R] syntax of formula

Bill.Venables at csiro.au Bill.Venables at csiro.au
Tue Sep 15 04:55:28 CEST 2009

In a sense, the syntax is easy.  Both left and right hand sides must be valid R expressions.

What you are probably looking for is a complete description of the semantics.  That's quite a different issue. The meaning of terms in a formula, and even the allowable forms, vary from function to function.  For example even lm( ) and aov( ) allow different forms, the latter using the Error( ) function but the former not.

Comparing, for example, non-linear and linear regression, the "+" operator means genuine addition for nls(), but for lm( ), glm( ) and aov( ) it does not: it means the inclusion of additional terms in the model.

This is a large, and possibly expanding issue.  You really need to understand what formulae are used to specify, and how they do it, for each function you wish to use.  It's not so bad...

W.