[R] How can I use R:sort function in C code?

cls59 chuck at sharpsteen.net
Tue Sep 15 16:51:53 CEST 2009

Guozhu.Wen wrote:

> Hi, I wrote a C extension for R. Within the C code I wanted to invoke the
> R's sort function, with the argument "index.return = TRUE". I found it is
> difficult problem, how can I do that? I have implemented the decreasing
> sorting by the code "PROTECT(R_fcall = lang3(install("sort"), x, desc));",
> but how to define the "index.return" argument?
>
> Thanks in advanced!
>
> --
> Guozhu. Wen

I found this a little tricky to do the first time-- but it's not bad at all
once you go through it. The steps I usually follow are:

1. Create an object to hold your function call.

2. Find the R function you want to call.

3. Prepare the function call by setting attributes on your object.

4. Execute the function call.

5. Recover data.

Unfortunately, I have to run to a meeting this morning so I can't write out
examples of all these steps. I suggest looking at section 5.11 of the
"Writing R Extensions" manual. Also, section 10.2 of the tikzDevice vignette
details an example of calling an R function from within a C function.

Good luck!

-Charlie

-----
Charlie Sharpsteen