[R] Putting together a constantly evolving package

Romain Francois romain.francois at dbmail.com
Tue Sep 15 21:24:22 CEST 2009

Hi,

Maybe you can put the sqlite database somewhere else in the package, for
example:

inst/sqlite/data.sqlite

and access it like this :

db <- system.file( "sqlite", "data.sqlite", package = "YourPackage" )

Romain

On 09/15/2009 09:07 PM, Steve Lianoglou wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm putting together some common code + data into a custom package,
> everything is working out fine, but the ``R CMD INSTALL MyPackage`` call
> seems to take a particularly long time in the "**data" step:
>
> $ R CMD INSTALL MyPackage/
> * installing to library ‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library’
> * installing *source* package ‘ MyPackage’ ...
> ** R
> ** data
>
> (here)
>
> I have a handful of not-very-big *.rda files in my data dir, but also a
> rather large sqlite db.
>
> Is R trying to do anything in particular to my data during the install?
> index or something? Is there anything I can do to make this step go faster?
>
> If this were a 1-time install, it wouldn't matter, but since this
> package is evolving as I'm using it, I find myself constantly needing to
> tweak some code here, or change something there, and this always
> requires another round of R CMD INSTALLing ...
>
> Is there something I can do to make this cycle turn around quicker? How
> do you guys deal with growing a package organically during your analyses?
>
> For this particular situation, I reckon I can create a separate package
> for my dataset since its static (and I might do eventually down the
> road, anyway), but I'm wondering if there are other alternatives.
>
> Thanks,
> -steve
>
> --
> Steve Lianoglou
> | Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
> | Weill Medical College of Cornell University

Romain Francois
Professional R Enthusiast
+33(0) 6 28 91 30 30
http://romainfrancois.blog.free.fr