[R] Error...

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Wed Sep 16 14:30:27 CEST 2009

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 9:05 AM, Inez Campbell <ic77 at st-andrews.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to find in FAQ, in the manual, everywhere, the reason and most
> importantly, how to solve:
> Error: protect(): protection stack overflow
> It appeared after requesting a plot.

That error message comes from deep inside the compiled code for the R
interpreter.  It may indicate that calls are nested too deeply or an
infinite loop or ...  We can't really tell without a reproducible
example.

(When an R object is created inside compiled code it must be protected
from garbage collection and this is done by putting its address onto a
structure called the protection stack.  When the object goes out of
scope it is unprotected.  Like most such structures the protection
stack has a finite capacity.)