[R] T-test to check equality, unable to interpret the results.

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Wed Sep 16 22:06:58 CEST 2009

I am loathe to expound basic statistics here  ... but,  at the considerable
risk of pedantry, I must note that Steve's reply below contains fundamental
errors, which I feel should not be left on this list unremarked: t-tests do
**not** test for differences in **sample** means; they test for differences
in **population** means. The sample means are different. Period.

Furthermore, the null can be other than equality -- e.g. that the mean  of
the first population is less than the second.

Finally, "statistically different" is a meaningless phrase. P <.05 means
that assuming the underlying assumptions at least "approximately hold" (and
an operational definition of "approximately hold" means is a technical
discussion unto itself), then were this calculation to be repeated over and
over again with samples of data from populations for which the null is, in
fact, true, the expected (long run) proportion of times the null will be
rejected is < .05 (the standard frequentist interpretation). For any
**particular** pairs of samples, the probability of falsely rejecting when
the null holds is either 1 or 0 -- either you rejected or not.

I would not bother with this were it not for the fact that Steve's apparent
confusion -- or at least imprecise statements -- is widespread among
scientists, in my experience, and leads to frequent misapplications and
misinterpretations of significance testing. The woes of Stat 101 training.

... But that's another diatribe...

Bert Gunter
Genentech Nonclinical Biostatistics