[R] dyn.load search path?

cls59 chuck at sharpsteen.net
Thu Sep 17 20:51:39 CEST 2009

Steve Jaffe wrote:

> Sorry if this is somewhere in the fine manuals but I've been unable to
> locate it.
>
> Does dyn.load use a search path or does it just look in the current
> directory for non-fully-qualified filenames? If there is a search path,
> what is it?
>
> Thanks for your help

I believe dyn.load() will attempt to load a library from whatever path you
point it at, like so:

dyn.load('/path/to/dynamic/library')

If your dynamic library references code in other dynamic libraries, I would
imagine environment variables such as LD_LIBRARY_PATH would come into play--
but I'm not an expert on such voodoo.

If you would like a shortcut to loading libraries in certain places that R
knows about, such as the R package library, check out providing arguments to
dyn.load() using system.file() or loading package libraries using
library.dynam().

Hope that helps!

-Charlie

-----