[R] T-test to check equality, unable to interpret the results.

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Fri Sep 18 17:38:36 CEST 2009

It appears that you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what p-values do and do not say (though this misunderstanding is commom).  The following article addresses this issue and could help with a better understanding:

     Murdock, D, Tsai, Y, and Adcock, J (2008) _P-Values are Random
     Variables_. The American Statistician. (62) 242-245.

See also the Pvalue.norm.sim function in the TeachingDemos package for simulation examples demonstrating points from the article.

Hope this helps,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center