[R] Unable to install lme4

Zege, Andrew andrew.zege at citi.com
Fri Sep 18 22:14:23 CEST 2009

I am unable to install package lme4, after several attempts to do so using various repository URLs.
Just to make sure everything works fine with proxy, connection, etc, I installed ggplot2 and it worked fine.

I am using command

install.packages("lme4", lib="/myRlibs"),

optionally using contrib argument with different URLs.

Error message the I get is

Warning message;
In install.packages("lme4", lib="/myRlibs")
 package 'lme4' is not available

Some other details, not sure how relevant are:

getOption("repos") returns "http://lib.stat.cmu.edu/R/CRAN"

I tried setting contrib to various other URL, such as  "http://cran.mtu.edu/src/contrib" or Berkeley URL, but with no success.
Actually, when I did available.packages() on this repos, I didn't see lme4 in the package indices.
My machine has x86_64bit RedHat Linux.

Would appreciate any tips or directions,

Thanks
Andre