[R] help with $ and % symbols in R

cls59 chuck at sharpsteen.net
Fri Sep 18 23:50:33 CEST 2009

Edward Chen-3 wrote:

> Could someone explain to me briefly and point me to where I can find help
> on
> what the symbols $ and % mean in R? I have seen them in many others'
> codes,
> but I am still very unsure as to what they mean and what they do.
> Thank you very much!

Help pages for symbols like if, for, [, <-, $ can be accessed in the same
way as help pages for functions. A pair of % signs is usually used to
delimit a special unary or binary operator-- such as %*% which invokes
matrix multiplication. However, since these symbols have special meaning,
they must be quoted when placed next to ? or ??-- like so:

?"$"

??"%"

- Charlie

-----